Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Nyonya....

Came as a suggestion from a Malaysian co-worker, Winnie.  I asked her if she has an idea where I could get authentic Malaysian in either New Jersey or New York.  As she mentioned Nyonya, in NYC's Chinatown, my jaw dropped.  I couldn't believe she said there was an authentic restaurant in Chinatown. 

The olfactory mess that is Chinatown, also provides me much happiness.  Anyone who knows me, knows I have a love affair with Chinatown, especially during summer months.  I just love watching the men and women slinging slimey fish, eel or any other disgusting ocean creature they can get their hands on, while strolling and sipping on bubble tea from Quickly.  Depending on which vendor, the fruit stands can have fruit just as fresh as something you could pick up at Citarella. 


I was told to go a group and that is exactly what I did.  Winnie had given a list of five items and I knew I couldn't get away with ordering all of them, but three out of five ain't bad!

The chicken satay, while not always my favorite, is a crowd pleaser.  It was good with a fatty texture rather than lean (this satay was dark meat!).

Roti Telur - a traditional, thin Indian pancake filled with egg and onion. This crepe-like dish was served with a light chicken curry dipping sauce.


Beef Rendang simmered with cinnamon, cloves & lemongrass in coconut milk (note the spicy oil) was the  overall winner!  I ate this complex meat stew with coconut rice.  It gave the perfect hint of sweetness to offset the spiciness of the dish.

Garlic chicken suggested by the waiter was half a chicken fried with super crispy skin and a soy dipping sauce.  Both the white & dark meat were tender and succulent (and mostly enjoyed by me).

Less successful was the Chow Kueh Teow, a stir-fried flat rice noodles with shrimp, chive, squid, bean sprouts, eggs, soy sauce and chili paste.  While the dish had a variety of seafood, it was bland with the noodles dry and tasteless.

All this for $55.  Get there!

199 Grand between Mott & Mulberry


No comments:

Post a Comment