Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Let's get Supper

There's always a larger-than-life-sigh when anyone says they want to dine at any of the Frank dynasty restaurants. Why? They are all loud and crowded. Alas, the food has pretty much stayed consistent through the years. We arrive at 9:30pm on Thursday and no wait, however, we did head next door to Supper's bar, Sugo, for a quick glass of wine ($9 glass or $10 half carafe). 
I absolutely love Sugo! It reminds me of what 'old New York' might have been like. Dark, cool interior mostly lit with chandeliers and candles. Sugo also serves appetizers as well as minimal entree options. There is no denying the blaring music once you walk in the front door of Supper; and unfortunate for us, the large group of gals drunkenly celebrating a birthday in the back.


My first debate is whether to try the Black Kale Panzanella or the Burrata. The waiter tells me the burrata had been flown in from Italy that morning. No Brainer! Others around the table see the burrata and order. When the waiter tells you it is flown in from Italy (true or not), you have to try. The hard mozzarella shell encapsulates the magical salty, creamy mozzarella inside. The night prior, at San Pietro's sister restaurant, Caravaggio, I also ordered burrata with beets and I must say, Supper's was FAR superior! It was served cool with tomatoes, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It was a meal unto itself.


Side salad


I chose the Lasagna alla Bolognese served in a piping hot dish.  I'd say the lasagna was average due to tasting only meat and tomato sauce, although I certainly did not need to consume more cheese.

Off the menu Gnocchi with garlic cream sauce was off the charts.  The mild garlicky cream sauce was poured over the large amount of gnocchi.  I can't remember a time in recent history I've had a better potato dumpling dish. So good I forgot to snap a photo!


The fettuccini with mint was refreshingly light, but the mint needed to be finely chopped and not sprigs that must be chewed separately. 


Priest Stranglers as described on the menu as Stoooopid Good!  Long and soft tubes tossed with marinara topped with ricotta.  This is a must!!!!  Why?  Cause they really are stooooopid good.

http://www.supperrestaurant.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment