Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

A Fork in the Road: Stringray Cafe (New Bern, NC)

My family headed to North Carolina a month ago for my cousin's wedding in New Bern, NC.  I am not really sure why I was never excited to visit New Bern because I really enjoy coastal towns in North Carolina.  Our hotel was in the marina and my brother an I needed a quick snack (i.e. meal) before the wedding began.  We took a ten minute stroll down the main street in the marina to Stingray Cafe. 

My brother

Let me preface this post by saying, if you do not like fried food, Stingray is not your place.  Although Stingray does offer some grilled food, I'd say your better bet for seafood of the non-fried kind would be next door at Tryon Palace.  We walk in and the place has a cutesy fisherman's boat nautical feel completed with buoys, nets, helms and let's not forget the indoor humidity. 


As I've mentioned before, North Carolina's bread basket is actually a hush puppy basket and these too, were served hot hot hot with a nice crisp crust.  Gotta love the Texas Pete hot sauce on the table!


My fried snapper, oysters and okra with a side of finely chopped cole slaw.  I love this traditional Southern mayo-based, sweet, vinegary cole slaw.  It's my absolute favorite!  The fish batter had a dash of pepper and the oysters were nice and big.


Rod's shrimp, oysters, okra and fries. 

All fried and all good with a side of sweet tea that was sweet enough for dessert.


New Bern is actually the second oldest city in North Carolina with tons of Colonial history that is evident in the town itself.  The architecture of the homes and original hitching posts all around.  New Bern is also the birthplace of Pepsi.

No comments:

Post a Comment