Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ring Around 12 Chairs


I'm thrilled this was the first place I started the blog. When I walk in, I immediately notice Hebrew spoken by staff and patrons. In my book, this IS representation of an authentic, or at least a somewhat authentic Israeli establishment. While living in Miami, I ate homemade Israeli and at Israeli restaurants every weekend. Since my return to NYC in 2007, I have yet to find much Israeli dining.

I went with my friend Natalie on a rainy Saturday for lunch. Much to my surprise, Nat wasn't feeling too adventuresome that day and decided upon an omelet which she seemed to enjoy. I, on the other hand, went with Jachnun, a traditional Sabbath dish. The ingredients are primarily flour and margarine, packed tightly and warmed on low heat overnight....yes, very healthy I know! This usually results in a delicious dish, however, not so much here. The taste of the dish was there, but the ends had been overcooked which resulted in hard ends and bottom. My arms/hands got a workout from all the cutting! The eggs and tomato sauce were decent as well as the bread basket. It's an extremely difficult dish to recreate, so my expectations were low going in.

I will return here as the atmosphere is chill and the price point is there. The schnitzel is supposed to be fantastic and don't know how you can go wrong with anything fried!

12 Chairs
56 MacDougal Street
NY, NY 10012
(212) 254-8640

http://www.menupix.com/nyc/restaurants.php?id=300006#

No comments:

Post a Comment