Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Ghandi Cafe



It is rare I venture to Bleecker Street or even use it as a route to get to Carmine, but on this particular night I tried Ghandi Cafe. It's also a rarity to have Indian delivered that I've actually enjoyed since I'm a big fan of Dawat in Midtown. After walking past it twice that evening, I walked in and sat in the dimly lit and almost empty restaurant.

Upon ordering, Roti is brought to the table along with a trio of tamarind, coriander and marinated onion condiments. I had never been to a place where coriander sauce was served an electric green color; but I dip, and alas, there is amazing sweet taste in my mouth. I ordered Chicken Tandoori (chicken marinated in yogurt and mild spices) and Aloo Gobi (potatoes, cauliflower and peas simmered in an onion tomato sauce) with a side of basmati rice and naan. I happen to be obsessed with dipping naan in tamarind sauce, although at Ghandi I kept dipping it in the coriander sauce.
The tandoori chicken was served on a sizzling skillet on a bed of onions and WOW!!! When I order Indian and tandoori chicken, it usually shows up in tasteless, fatty chunks, but not here! Real chicken here people...tender and tasty. Aloo Gobi was decent, although a small portion, and served with a side of bland rice. All and all it was a good experience and will most likely be ordering from here.

The waitstaff is extremely attentive throughout the meal which made it a pleasant dining experience.

283 Bleecker Street
NY, NY 10014

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/ghandi-cafe/

No comments:

Post a Comment