Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Fork in the Road: Jestine's Kitchen (Charleston, SC)

I wanted Jestine's to be good, like ridiculously good.  Plus, it has a great story of the recipes handed down through generations in addition to Mrs. Jestine Mathews living to 112.  One hundred twelve!  I wanted the long, scorching hot line to be worth the wait; but I was disappointed and as many people have stated before me, it is a tourist trap. 

A cool cucumber salad was served as soon as we sat down and it actually was refreshing.  The cornbread served on a plate of honey and hot butter was bland (the real kernels didn't make a difference). 


The pecan-crusted fried chicken had zero inkling of pecan, or salt for that matter, however, they do serve up half a chicken.  The green beans, fried okra and collards were average, but nothing I couldn't get at a local cafeteria in Houston. 


The shrimp gumbo was decent, but was texturally more like a stew with the tomato/shrimp/okra combo being the only resemblance of 'gumbo'. 

I'll mention the Coca-Cola chocolate cake, but only order it if you are fancying the feeling of your teeth falling out from sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment