Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2013

Shanghai Asian Manor

Shanghai Manor in Chinatown almost always has a long wait, but happens to be worth that long wait (we went on a Saturday night and only stood about 20 minutes).  This is a typical Chinese restaurant with the typical fare, except Shanghai Manor's food is mostly appetizing.  For instance, every time I have dined at Joe's Shanghai and ordered anything other than soup dumplings, I notice all dishes taste exactly the same.


Egg drop soup (beaten eggs in chicken stock) - usually in American Chinese restaurants, cornstarch will be used to thicken the soup, which in this case, I believe has been done; however, it did have a smooth taste.


My biggest complaint with scallion pancakes is the amount of oil dripping from them, but these were perfectly crisp and doughy inside.


The infamous soup dumpling and, as I shared on Twitter, the quality on-par with Joe's.  Without a doubt.


In typical American Chinese fashion, the food is laden with sauce.  The chicken with cashews and peppers was light(er), but had flair!


The Lo Mein was entirely too saucy.  I couldn't get more than a bite down.  All in all, the food here is of quality, but I would stick with appetizers and dumplings.

No comments:

Post a Comment