Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Permanent Brunch (CLOSED)


When they named it permanent, they meant it not by way of food, but your butt on the banquette. Judging by the initial vibe of how quickly we were seated, there was no way I thought we would be wait 25 minutes for 2 bloody marys and 2 coffees. Look, during peak brunch hours on a Saturday, I will give a place 10 minutes for an alcoholic beverage (Bloodies served with V8), but 25 for watered down coffee? Come on now~ Especially in a restaurant so loud, I couldn't even hear myself think. On my observation track, I couldn't help but notice my neighbors receiving their bowls of soup as appetizers and three minutes later, their entrees arrive! No way, no how. That would have been sent straight back; or maybe not, depending if I thought I'd ever get out of there.

Too bad though. The food that finally arrived at my table was beyond just satisfying. Fried chicken & waffles. That's right, in addition to something out of the ordinary for me to order. The juices were beautifully encased in a salty, light batter laying on top of two triangular waffles. Two surprising twists to this dish: a grain waffle and fresh plums in a plum reduction in lieu of syrup. Instead of the extremes of salty and sweet, PB cut the salt with a savory sweetness.

The poached eggs, braised short rib ragu, duck fat fingerling potatoes and ciabatta bread for dipping was a natural symbiotic combination. The yolk coupled with meat isn't always delectable, but they chose well and without over-salting.

The food is pleasing enough, but I won't be rushing back. There are too many other brunches to be had.

Permanent Brunch 95 First Avenue b/t 5th & 6th Streets
http://www.permanentbrunch.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment