Search This Blog

Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Fork in the Road: New England Fare (Cape Cod, MA)

Looks like this is turning into more writing about travels than Manhattan, but I'll be writing about eateries in NYC very soon...
New England has wonderful coastal staples: clams, lobster rolls, chowders, ice cream and the list goes on. My travels took me to Cape Cod, and more specifically, Provincetown. I had just finished Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential and this is the town where his career began, so naturally, I took interest. Although I believe it's a general rule-of-thumb not to eat on touristy streets, an exception was made in P-town. We strolled down Commercial Street beginning at the Lobster Pot, and got a cup of clam chowder. This rich & creamy soup was a perfect remedy on this cloudy & damp day. On the way back from browsing the quaint art galleries, the next stop was an outdoors seafood joint with lobster rolls (and fries) for $9.99. Usually rolls cost upwards of $19, so I didn't think this one would be that tasty, but I was pleasantly suprised. The fries were perfectly crisp and the roll mildly seasoned, but tasty enough to take down the entire thing. One thing I will say about the Cape, their love runs deep for homemade ice cream. I ate ice cream at least once a day. Every place had a wonderfully creamy confection. I have to give credit to Lindsey for sending me to Four Seas Ice Cream (she flew it in for her wedding). This place was closing for the season the day I went and what that means my dear friends, is ice cream by the pint or quart. I purchased, without hesitation, a pint of vanilla chocolate chip and ate the entire thing in an hour...yum!

Lobster Pot 321 Commercial Street Provincetown, MA www.ptownlobsterpot.com
Four Seas 360 S. Main Street Centerville, MA www.fourseasicecream.com

No comments:

Post a Comment